Monthly Photo Contest Winners Congratulations

gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
13916 Posts in 1717 Topics by 18 Members - Latest Member: steve January 21, 2018, 04:19:27 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Trackside Modeler  |  The Roundhouse  |  The Car Shop  |  Spurs (Moderators: steammodeler, Dawg)  |  In The Beginning.............
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: In The Beginning.............  (Read 29125 times)

Offline ak-milw

• Trackside Master Modeler
  • Conductor
Re: In The Beginning.............
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2008, 08:22:41 PM »
Excellant pic of the bridge there Jack-ol- boy!! With a bridge looking that good it dosn't have to go anywhere.  :rock:

:blues:
Andy Kramer - Modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin

The Milwaukee Road is alive and well and running in my basement

Offline wickman

• Conductor
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2008, 10:38:20 AM »
Nice job the bridge looks great , yu can always put a mirror surrounded by trees on the end to give the proper illusion. I too often will mess around to get something working right ie wireing lite boards then document how I did it and unfortunately it goes on my to do list. Just curious here you have wabbits and tortoises and a switch board , I thought you were dcc , I do dcc and operate all my switched via the hand controler. I do plan on having a switch board just for switch direction lites , green and red which I did manage to figure out and is now on the do do finish list
Lynn
Modeling the L&M Rocky Mountain Pass

Current Layout Progress -> http://tracksidemodeler.com/index.php?topic=950.0

The old layout -> http://www.all-model-railroading.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2266.0

Offline O.B.Jack

• Contest Commissioner
  • Trackside Master Modeler (M)
  • Conductor
  • Monday mornings are never good
    • Warmboard Projects
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2008, 05:49:41 AM »
OK gentlemen, thought I would try and update the progress on The PistonBroke Line.
I have installed a few more tortoise switch motors with their respective wabbit decoders to the layout, and added a switchboard of sorts,  which I have posted a detailed "Stumble Through"  at  http://tracksidemodeler.com/index.php/topic,1829.0.html

Now that I know how that part works,  ::) ??? I will maybe make a better control panel oneday when I continue to expand the wiring of the turnouts.
It could get decidedly messy with the wiring under there,  :fan: 'cause if I have a couple of panels doing the same thing at different parts of the layout..........

Next was an attempt at scratching a bridge for "The war Office " who wanted a bridge that reminded her of the one they used to have to cross to get home in her childhood.  Sheesh ....they can remember a loooooong way back.   :cow:

Soooo.... we now have an old bridge across the line.....It does'nt go anywhere....... but hey who argues with the "War Office"  :PwP:  (_!_)

So at the moment we have
and the "Stumble Through " is at  http://tracksidemodeler.com/index.php/topic,1853.15.html

So the next phase is to try my hand at a few kits that have arrived today.
I am so dumb  that I have to build the kits first, and then find a place for them somewhere on the layout, .....and then that will enable me to create the various  areas of interest.
Not the other way 'round.   P[: like most.

I have a little build that I will start with, called  O'Learys Garage. So I will post progress pics, or lack of,  in the structures section

Jack  @#
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 06:05:17 AM by O.B.Jack »
If at first you don't succeed , destroy all evidence that you tried

Offline steammodeler

• Site Owner & CEO
  • Administrator
  • Conductor
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2008, 03:17:39 AM »
 :o: Ya got a lot of wires there Jack  :-X  I'm kinda watchin' you on this one. Good thing I still have my DC hooked up. I don't know if I could do this massive wiring attack stuff. I'm still trying to figure out what a hare is. I always thought it was how much more you needed to cut off of a piece of stripwood to make a fit. Looks like you have it well under control !!  :up:

@#
James

Hurricane Pass Mining & Timber R.R. Co.

Offline O.B.Jack

• Contest Commissioner
  • Conductor
    • Warmboard Projects
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2008, 05:54:45 AM »
Actually Andy, those wires do'nt go anywhere,  I just put them there to make it look all complicated and scientific. :bat:

And if you believe that you'd believe anything.

I have probably made it look a bit more daunting than it really is by my untidy wiring.

Each of those Wabbits  shown control two turnouts,
Six wires from the top of the WabbitFBs go to two toggle switches........one for each turnout.
The other two are the power wires.

And all  the wires from the bottom of the wabbitFB decoder could go directly to the turnout switch ( Tortoise) but I chose to put them thru an end connector for ease of dismantling if anything should go wrong... :fan:....or I think thats why. LOL

But heres the Rub.....There are still 4 connections on either side of the Wabbitt  (a side for each turnout it controls) that still have'nt any wires attatched .   :whwh:   So you aint seen nothin' yet.

SO watch this space. 
They are for the hook up to a computer, or for this feedback module I've been trying to understand.   P[:

If someone wants to enlighten me on this subject ,  feel free. I'm like Prince Charles ........ALL Ears.

Jack  @#

Offline ak-milw

• Conductor
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2008, 10:40:14 PM »
 :toocool: Well Jack, After seeing all that wire I am glad I stuck with  Caboose Ind. hand operated ground throws. They sure make life easier.

Scruff

« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2008, 05:26:31 AM »
Woot Jack, well done with the Tortoise machines :)

Looking good

cheers

Offline O.B.Jack

• Contest Commissioner
  • Conductor
    • Warmboard Projects
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2008, 04:11:32 AM »
Well Folks, it's been a while since I put  ASCII characters into cyberspace, but I have been a bit slow on the modelling lately.  :/w\:

I have been trying to nut out the electrics, as some of you know.

so progress so far:
I purchased a few tortoise switch machines

And some WabbitFBs
My take on the Wabbits with the feedback capability is that it does'nt matter whether the turnout is thrown by a toggle switch or your cab control/handpiece  the system will allways be able to tell you which way they are thrown.
And I assumed this was not possible with the basic wabbitt or Hare.   ::)

My problem has been ( and still is) that I think I may need another bit of hardware to hook it all up to the power station.

So I have wired up a few tortoise switch machines to the turnouts, and then wired them to the wabbits to give cab control as well as toggle switch control of the turnouts.

A few problems arose 'cause a turnout happened to be directly above a bit of the benchtop structure, but nothing a big hammer an oxy welder a cresent and a bit of wire twitching could'nt fix.   {j}

The other problem was that my benchtop with the foam base was to thick and the length of wire (which is supplied with the tortoise) used to throw the turnout was not long enough.  P[:

So a bit of piano wire was purchased which I could cut to length. it was also a bit thicker than the original.

Next problem: I did'nt have a drill bit long enough or small enough to drill the pilot for the tortoise' wire  thru the foam and baseboard:
 because all my track has been laid, I needed to drill from the top thru the hole in the turnout bar to get the exact location of where the hole needs to be .

Solution: I used the piano wire as the drill bit. It was obviously small enough to fit thru the the hole in the throw bar of the turnout. Worked a treat, went thru the MDF baseboard quite easily. At last a Score  to Jack.   :whwh:

I bought all the wiring out from under the bench and put it on a board / boards screwed to the side, to make working on the wiring so much easier. Hopefully it will be covered by a curtain oneday.

And by putting a few cuts in the rail at strategic places and a bit of wire back to the wabbit, you can ensure that if a train is going to enter a turnout which is turned against it, the turnout will automaticaly switch to the correct alignment to stop a derailment, or short circut.

And I seem to have been able to wire two turnouts (which create a crossover) together so that they will always be in alignment       ie: they both switch together.  :rock:

Now I will have to put all these accessory decoders onto their own power supply. 'cause I guess if you have a short you wont be able to switch the turnouts. At the moment everything is running of the track bus wires.

:toocool:
News Flash
  :toocool:
The War Office has just returned from work and has said that the Principal of  the local school would like to bring  20 kids to view the Pistonbroke line for a school assignment on perspective.

Must scurry off and tidy up the Layout  and pack away some junk before the pack arrive .

PS :  Sorry Steamy, I am remiss. I did enjoy the mine build. It was my first go at something like that, being a newcomer and all, but yes it was interesting, and not too big to overpower the layout.

Jack  @#

Offline steammodeler

• Site Owner & CEO
  • Administrator
  • Conductor
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2008, 09:35:15 PM »
Holy Cow Jack !!! What a fine bit of work not only on the mine but the land development as well! You have created some really outstanding landscape. How did you like the mine kit? I know Wick built that also and it's looking like one I might want to tackle myself in the future. Quite a pike that Pistonbroke line!!

@#
James

Hurricane Pass Mining & Timber R.R. Co.

Offline ak-milw

• Conductor
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2008, 11:21:52 PM »
I know how ya fell RC. Right now the temp outside is -12f without the windchill!! I would love to feel +20f, I would have to get my tee shirts out. And I work outside in it all day too!!

Offline R.C.Teed

• Conductor
    • http://great-western-ry-fan.zoints.com/
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2008, 09:06:07 PM »
 :\- I'm jealous... 77 degrees Fahrenheit there while here it's 20f here but with windchill it's minus 5f...brrrrr...and I worked outside all day today :'(
Maybe You can beat the train....
  Maybe You're Dead Wrong!!!

Offline O.B.Jack

• Contest Commissioner
  • Conductor
    • Warmboard Projects
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2008, 08:08:24 PM »
Yep.
It felt good to have R.S.I. in my typing finger again.
Its only my mind that goes walkabout Andy,  I'm never lost ... only for words sometimes. Sorry about your computer freezing up on you , I have that effect on on the "War Office "too.
Maybe we should get new ones.  :whwh:
Seems like Simon and I have been suffering with the weather too.....whether to go to the beach or not,  :blues: a beautiful 25c - 27c here lately.
Ron and Bill, here are a couple more from the stocking, some still need weathering.....  [o: watch out pictures comin' up Andy.

The Rural theme continues

and

Progress has taken over the mine

Now Lynn.... Seeing as a package arrived yesterday  :]:
the next project I would like to do, (but probably not ready for ) involves Tortoises and wabbits, and I remember seeing a thread of how you installed yours  a while back, so I need to do some reading up on the subject.
The book that came with the Wabbits seems very full on. Pages of setup and programming instructions that I will need to read over and over to digest. So I will start to read it now before the mind goes walkabout for good.  :?

But I think I will end up trying to  do something with the lighthouse project which has stalled

Think thats enough photos for a while ........Andys computer dont work no more.  P[:

Jack

Offline ak-milw

• Conductor
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2008, 09:43:48 PM »
Really glad to have ya back Jack!!
 I was ready to by an airline ticket and come look for you. Thought you might of got lost and not the fact it has been -20 degrees here for the last week. Burrgh Burrgh Burrgh
 You posted so many pictures this old computor timed out and wouldn't show me anymore, but the ones I did get are (of coarse) excellent. :\-Try not to stay away so long!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :cow:

Offline womblenz

• Conductor
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2008, 08:52:04 PM »
Very nicely done Jack  :up:

looks great keep up the good work

Cheers Warren

Offline Bill Fornshell

• Conductor
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2008, 06:51:37 PM »
Hi Jack,

That is a real nice bunch of new toys from the "Fat Man".

I like the Backhoe.  I have been working on a card stock Backhoe to go on the end of a MOW version of my Tidewater & Southern engine.

Trackside Modeler  |  The Roundhouse  |  The Car Shop  |  Spurs (Moderators: steammodeler, Dawg)  |  In The Beginning.............

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.1 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Page created in 0.11 seconds with 18 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx